The Q&A Archives: Are My Raspberries Dead?

Question: Approx. six weeks ago I planted new raspberry plants, I have yet to see any growth. They still look just like they did when I planted them, a bare stalk sticking out of the ground. Do you think that they are dead?

Answer: It sounds like they may have met their maker. By now they should have at least sprouted some leaves. You can check by pruning the end off a couple of the canes to see if there is any green tissue inside. If you kept the soil evenly moist, and the soil is rich and well-drained, then perhaps the stock was dead when you got it. Another important note: if these were bareroot canes, and the roots dried out before you had a chance to plant them, they surely wouldn't survive. I hope this helps somewhat!