The Q&A Archives: Blueberry plant leaves spotted with rust

Question: Early this spring I planted a blueberry seedling I got as a present. The plant almost died off, then leafed out again, but has developed rust colored spots on the leaves that start out pinhole size and then grow. Seems to be moving from the bottom to the top leaves.

Should I be concerned, and is there anything I can do?

Answer: There's at least one fungus I know of that causes such symptoms, but without seeing it myself, I can't say for sure what's causing the problem. If it's covering and killing the leaves on this already weakened plant, you should have the problem identified so you can try to save the bush. Your county agricultural extension office (ph# 913/843-7058) can advise you how to prepare a sample and where to send it for diagnosis. Best of luck to you!