The Q&A Archives: Fall Planting Date for Peas

Question: What would be a good time to do a fall planting of oriental type peas? Will I be successful if I plant while it is still hot in July? I planted your varieties of "Snowbird, Super Snappy & Sugar Snow" last late March and was very successful. I was very pleased with the taste and quality in my inaugural garden and would like to grow a much larger late crop for freezing to enjoy this winter.

Answer: Planning for a fall garden is a bit tricky. For some plantings, such as peas and beans, you need to calculate backwards from the average first fall frost date and add about a week or so (to allow for the slowing of growth as the season progresses) to the maturity date. In addition, the more cold tolerant vegetables such as cole crops, carrots, greens, and radishes (and to some extent peas) can sometimes be kept going long after frost by use of a cold frame or other form of protection, so you can try successive plantings or earlier and later maturing varieties to try to maximize your harvest window. Good luck with those snow peas!