The Q&A Archives: trim iris leaves or not?

Question: My beared iris bloomed beautifully this year and also produced very long profuse leaves. The problem is, the leaves are flopping all over the place and look very messy in my foundation beds where they are planted (by the previous owner of my house.) Is is ok to trim the leaves down to several inches a month or so after blooming - or is it best for the iris to keep their leaves until fall. The leaves are still green and healthy looking.

Answer: Even though they look sloppy, as long as the leaves are healthy it is a good idea to leave them as long as possible to continue replenishing the plants' energy. (Unhealthy leaves should be removed promptly.) On the other hand, some gardeners do trim them back about six or eight weeks after blooming and experience good results.