The Q&A Archives: Goundhog Destroying Cabbage

Question: This year I put in 24 cabbage family plants and have planted this twice. Each time grounghogs totally eat the hearts and leaves of the plants. The garden plot is fenced in and they digging under the fence to reach the plants. I went and got a live trap and baited it with the item they are eating and to my surprize they tunneled under the trap and fence to get to the plant. Is there a electric fence or some other means in this manner that might work? We are too populated to try and hunt them and beside firearms discharging is not legal in the boro. Any type of help or ideas would help I'm tired of all the work from seeds and get nothing for it.

Answer: Groundhogs are persistent and tricky. They are also dangerous and unpredictable wild animals whose bites are nothing to fool around with. In my experience freshly placed melon and lettuce have worked well as bait, but I would really suggest you contact a professional to remove the groundhog for you. In the meantime, the fencing should run underground bent outward for a foot or more so that they can't burrow under the fence. Some gardeners also report success with pepper-based repellent sprays and with the commercially produced repellent sprays such as "GetAway" and predator urines (available from Burpee, 800-888-1447).