The Q&A Archives: Indoor Lemon and Orange Trees

Question: Where can I find small lemon & orange trees for indoor growing, and how should I care for them?

Answer: In cold winter areas citrus trees can be grown indoors from September through April and then taken outdoors a placed in a sunny spot. Indoors, citrus trees need average warmth, freedom from drafts, ample water, and well draining soil. You may need to supplement natural light with fluorescent or gro-lites especially made for plants. Turn the light on for
12-14 hours each day and turn it off at night. Citrus trees
need ample moisture, so water often enough to keep the soil
moist but not soggy, and feed in the spring and summer
months with a diluted liquid fertilizer, especially if the leaves are yellowish instead of glossy deep green. Watch out for scale, aphids and mites, and use insecticidal soap or light horticultural oil according to label instructions if they do show up.

Be sure to give your trees a gradual transition from indoors to outdoors, and vice versa, so they have time to adjust to the changes in the environment.

Sources for dwarf citrus include: Edible Landscaping, PO Box 77, Afton, VA 22920, ph# 840/361-1916,; Just Fruits, 30 St. Francis St., Crawfordville, FL 32327, 904/906-5644; Raintree Nursery, 391 Butts Rd., Morton, WA 98356, 360-496-6400, e-mail