The Q&A Archives: Rose leaves have yellow streaks

Question: I have several rose bushes located together in a corner plot in my backyard. One of them recently developed yellow streaks in the leaves. None of the other bushes have this. What could it be? I've had these bushes for two years now and have neverhad this problem before now. Thank your for any information that can get rid of this problem. Penny Dallas,Texas

Answer: Roses do get a few viruses, although not commonly, which do cause the distinct yellow streaking or stippling. The bad news: there is no real cure. The good news: rose viruses aren't fast movers among a rose and even slower in jumping to other roses.Picking off badly mottled leaves at least keeps the rose attractive. At some point, if the virus does seem to get out of hand, your only resort is to banish it to the trash can.