The Q&A Archives: Columbine Seeds

Question: How do I get seeds from a Columbine plant? I read that they make seeds. When and where and what part has the seeds?

Answer: Columbine plants produce flowers atop long, slender stems. If insects have been busy in the garden visiting the flowers you'll find a group of enlarged green pods on the tops of the stems after the petals fall from the flowers. Allow these pods to grow and mature, as they contain the seeds. When the pods turn a tannish-brown, the seeds are ripe and ready for harvest. Collect the seedpods before they burst and spill the seeds on the ground. You can save the seeds after they are completely dry by putting in an airtight container and storing in a cool, dark place. Next spring sprinkle the seeds over a prepared garden bed and new columbine plants will appear.