The Q&A Archives: Resources for Identifying Roses

Question: I live west of Rochester, NY, two miles south of Lake Ontario. Several rose bushes against the south wall of house get very tall. The roses are small and blossom in bunches, but do not look like Tea or Floribunda. In the fall the base of the blossom stays on the branch and looks like a berry of some sort. I have to keep them pruned because they are under a window. What are they and is this the best place for them? Thanks. Terry Butler Rochester, NY

Answer: It's hard to say what kind of rose is growing below your window. There are so many types, and it could even be a wild one that moved in. I'd suggest checking a few reference books such as "Taylor's Guide to Roses" or "Rose for Dummies" to try to identify it. Also, bring a sample to a local garden center or nursery and perhaps they know of this rose.