The Q&A Archives: Stalled Watermelon

Question: I have a Sugar Baby Watermelon plant that seems to have stalled. It was growing really well, but now it seems to have stopped. It's approximately 8 inches tall with leaves that are ready to sprout, but they just don't grow. It has been like this for about two weeks. The soil is regular top soil with a little peat moss mixed in to keep it moist (as per the directions). Any suggestions? This is the first time I have had watermelon . . .

Answer: Watermelons need full sun, warm temperatures, rich soil and adequate moisture to grow well. If any one of these is missing, the plants may sulk. You might try fertilizing according to the label instructions if you haven't already done so and be sure to water it if it doesn't rain. If your plant is in the ground, it will need an inch or more a week along with a few inches of organic mulch; if it is in a pot, it may need watering every day. Good luck with your watermelon!