The Q&A Archives: Daylily Change In Color

Question: Some of my daylilies are suddenly blooming with double blooms. I've been told this is due to a virus. Will it affect other daylilies or plants? Where did it come from? Other daylilies (not near the double blooming plants) are blooming in different colors than previous years (e.g., a white is blooming yellow). What causes this and how can I correct it?

Answer: Daylilies hybridize easily so the changes you've noticed probably come from new plants created in your daylily bed. There's not much you can do to prevent this except perhaps to grow only one kind of daylily, or to remove spent flowers before they set seed. If your plants had a virus, the leaves would show symptoms of streaking or mottling. So, as long as the foliage looks healthy, I'd chalk up the color changes to new hybrids.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"