The Q&A Archives: Planting Poplars Close to Buildings

Question: I would like to get some hybrid poplar trees that have been so popular in catalogs recently. They sound like wonderful trees; it grows super fast and is hardly bothered by insects or cruddy soil. The only thing that worries me is that I've read that it's not a good idea to put any kind of poplar next to a house because of their unpredictable habit of undermining foundations and getting into water pipes. Would you help me solve this mystery? If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could point mein the right direction as to other fast-growing trees that would do just as well. (Hmmm....a robinia pseudoacacia perhaps?) Thank you in advance. Lisa Kuprijanow

Answer: The following company sells fast growing poplar trees. I would be hesistant to plant near a foundation only because of the aggressive root systems of these trees. But ask this nursery for their recommendations. Frysville Farms 300 Frysville Rd. Ephrata, PA 17522 800-422-FRYS