The Q&A Archives: Zucchini fruit rotting on vine

Question: My zucchini plants are producing plenty of male and female blossoms. The fruit appear to set and grow to about 3 to 4 inches long. Then, they begin turning yellow from the blossom end back and finally turn to a yellow/brown mush. All my other vegetables are doing well. I've been sprinkling malorganite(spelling?) every 3-4 weeks over the entire garden to fertilize as well as keep the deer at bay. The garden consists of 14 medium and large raised beds having a total area of about 25 ft. X 40 ft.. I have some insect attracting plants in the raised beds nearby the zucchini. So I don't think it's a lack of pollination problem. Please help! I've been so looking forward to fresh zucchini and all I've gotten are dashed hopes as each one dies on the vine.

Answer: Sounds as though blossom-end rot is taking its toll on your squash. This condition is caused by wide fluctuations between wet and dry soil. To prevent the problem, water deeply and apply a thick mulch over the soil surface to keep evaporation at a minimum. Hope correcting the problem results in a bumper crop of squash for you!