The Q&A Archives: Artemesia Falling Over

Question: I have a few clumps of Silver King Artemesia planted in my flower bed. I love the color and texture, but now that it's reached it's full height, it is falling over and looks untidy. Are there any special tips I should know in growing this plant to help it remain stronger so that it will not fall over?

Answer: Artemisia ludoviciana albula 'Silver King' is a bushy perennial to 3 1/2' high. You can cut the woody stems back to encourage production of soft, new growth from the base of the plant or from the remaining pieces of stems. You can also pinch out the growing tips during the season to keep the plant looking neat and tidy. Unless flower production is important to you, pinch the tips of all the stems early in the spring and then throughout the growing season. If you'd like your plant to produce flowers, stop pinching about mid-summer. Regular pinching will keep the stems short and sturdy making them less likely to fall over. You can totally renovate your Silver King by cutting all the stems and foliage down in autumn. New growth will appear the following spring and your plants will be renewed.