The Q&A Archives: Sow Bug Invasion

Question: My new raised bed vegetable garden is overrun with sow bugs.They are eating everything, including new little shoots.The squash plants are literally covered with the bugs.I have killed thousands, this is not an exageration, and they just keeping coming back.What is the least toxic way of eradicating them, since this
is in a vegetable garden?

Answer: Sow bugs are considered beneficial in the garden because they feed on decaying organic debris. If environmental conditions are good, sow bug populations can soar. They live quite happily in moist, dark areas such as in and under mulch. You might try removing any mulch material you have on the bed so the soil will dry out quickly, and you can try watering in the morning so the plants and soil have a chance to dry out before nightfall. If that doesn't control the pests, sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the soil around the victimized plants.