The Q&A Archives: Growing Globe Artichoke from Seed

Question: Can you give some advice about growing globe artichokes. I have bought some seeds from Burpee which are not sprouting indoors (I have 11 seedlings so far). How long should I wait before I plant them and how far apart should I plant them? Whatother advice can you give me to keep the plants healthy? James D. Massay Yorktown, VA

Answer: Be patient with your artichoke seeds. If they haven't germinate in another 7-10 days, then you should replant. Once they are up, give them 14 hours a day of artificial light just a few inches above the plants. Keep them well watered and fertilized weekly with a dilute solution of complete fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. Once the plant's height is 3 times the diameter of the pot, transplant into a larger pot and continue doing this until it's time to put them outside (last frost date in your area). They can grow in containers (one per container) if it's large enough such as a 1/2 whiskey barrel. The soil in the garden should be heavily amended with compost and the site should have full sun. The soil in the container should contain equal parts compost, peat moss and commercial potting soil. Fertilize monthly with a complete fertilizer as a sidedressing and keep them well watered. By the midsummer you should be enjoying artichokes!