The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Asparagus

Question: We moved into an old farmhouse last fall, and I found an old asparagus patch in a grassy area behind the house. Can I transplant the asparagus plants and, if so, when should I do it?

Answer: It's best to transplant asparagus crowns while they're dormant -- early to late winter, as long as the ground isn't frozen, or very early spring if you must wait for the weather to cooperate. Just be sure to move them before they begin to sprout. You'll want to wait until the second year the plants have been in their new bed before harvesting over a long period of time, to allow the plants to become established. It won't hurt to harvest a few pencil-sized or larger stalks the first year, but leave the majority alone to produce foliage. You can harvest over several weeks the following season.