The Q&A Archives: Ailing KyuShu Hydrangea

Question: I bought a KyuShu Hydranga about a month ago. Its fairly large (3 1/2 feet) with white buds beginning to open all over. My problem is that the leaves are turning yellow and falling off (a good amount). Is this normal? Should I take the plant back? My soil is very good. Could it be too much water?

Answer: Most plants undergo a period of stress after being transplanted, especially if the weather is warm. Symptoms of stress include wilting, bud drop and loss of leaves. Your hydrangea is probably just adjusting to its new home. KyuShu is tolerant of many types of soils, but thrives in loamy, moist, well-drained soil. It will grow in full sun to partial shade. Your shrub will need about one-inch of water per week to keep it healthy. (Apply water slowly, allowing it to thoroughly wet the root mass.) It's a very hardy plant once established, flowers on new wood, and should provide an abundance of blooms from July through September. Cut the flowering branches down when flowers fade and prune back to the ground in late winter or early spring to encourage new flowering wood.