The Q&A Archives: Source for Diamond'Willow

Question: Could you please tell me where I could find a 'Diamond' Willow tree, Salix (sorry I don't know the rest)? I have seen them in Canada and Alaska so I'm sure it would grow here too. I've been unable to find one in the catalogs I have. Could you please tell me how to propagate a 'Harry Lauders walking stick', Corylus avellana contorta. I have one that is about 10 feet tall and about the same size spread. I wolud like to start a new plant from this if possible. Thank You Jeanne Zukowski Lake Peekskill, NY

Answer: Diamond willow (Salix bebbiana) is available through, Forest Farm Ray and Peg Prag 990 Tetherow Rd. Williams, OR 97544-9599 541-846-7269 You can produce new Harry Lauder's Walking Sticks by layering the young shoots. The shoots are taken inspring, slightly wounded, bent down and covered with soil over the wound. After one season the wound has new roots and the shoot can be cut off, producing a new plant. You can also just dig up suckers and replant in a nursery bed trying to get as much of the new root system as possible.