The Q&A Archives: Planting A Mimosa Tree

Question: I just bought two mimosa trees that are approximately 4 feet in height. Lanky little things, but they are one of my favorites. I need to know the proper sun exposure, soil mix, and how quickly they grow, so when I plant my two trees they will be comfortable, forever.

Answer: You are indeed a mimosa's best friend! Mimosas like full sun although they will put up with a little shade, especially later in the day. Give them a site with good drainage.

If you can add compost to a large area of soil, and mix it in about 6-10 inches deep, this will help them take off to a great early start. Only amending the soil in the planting hole is not recommended however, as their roots quickly outgrow this small area. Plus, in a heavy soil like clay this can become a soggy underground pot.

Mulch a wide area around the young, growing trees to protect soil and reduce weed competition. Your trees with respond with rapid growth.