The Q&A Archives: Tips on Pruning Roses

Question: I have been waiting to prune my roses (hybrids, grandifloras and floribundas), but it looks as if they never went dormant--always blooming, except during December-January when the blooming diminished somewhat. Now new growth has begun and I feel I should have pruned them. Should I let it grow this time, and wait until next year for a good pruning? Is it too late to prune them in my location? I got your catalog and it's great. Thank you. Maria Palmer Santa Maria, CA

Answer: You should prune only to remove dead wood, diseased wood, thin diameter stems (smaller than a pencil diameter) and to thin out the branches. You can do the pruning now if you like. Pruning back the height of the roses will stimulate more growth.