The Q&A Archives: Information

Question: I just bought four rose bushes. I have never raised roses before and I have been looking for some information on the care of these roses and wondering about how big these will get so I have an idea of where to plant them. They are: Queen Elizabeth; Abe Lincoln; JF Kennedy and Double Density. Do you have any information on any of these roses on the type of care they need or how big I should expect them to get? I would like to plant them across my front yard, but If they are going to block the viewof my flower bed in front of my house then I need to come up with a different plan. Thank you for your time. Susan Cooper Cushing, OK

Answer: The roses that you purchased all require well drained, fertile soil, plenty of air circulation (18"-36"between plants) to avoid mildew problems, and plenty of sun and water. In late winter or early spring, prune canes back to approximately 18", leaving4-5 strong canes. To answer your plant height question: The Queen Elizabeth grows 5' - 7' tall; the Mr. Lincoln, 4 1/2' - 5 1/2'; J.F. Kennedy, 3'- 4'. We don't seem to have any information on the Double Density rose. Check with the grower