The Q&A Archives: Tips on Growing

Question: I am novice gardener and would like to start a strawberry patch. I have constructed a 4' by 8' raised bed and filled it with topsoil to house my new patch. What are the best type(s) of Burpee's strawberries for my area and situation? Should I addanything to the soil? Thanks in advance for your advice. Todd Evans Boyds, MD

Answer: Strawberries like a soil rich in organic matter, so you might want to mix in some compost, well-rotted manure, grass clippings, or shredded leaves. You might also want to add a high-phosphorus/high-potassium fertilizer when you are preparing the bed. The traditional strawberry to plant is a June-bearing variety, meaning the entire crop ripens during a few weeks in June. Burpees "Surecrop" and "Earliglow" are June-bearers. You can also try any of the other "day-neutral" and "everbearing" varieties listed in the catalog; they should all grow well in your area.