The Q&A Archives: Non Flowering Mandevilla

Question: Last year I bought 2 Mandevilla plants (potted) and they bloomed all summer with pink flowers. I took the plants in for the Fall and Winter. The vines kept growing. This late spring I hung them back outside and fertilize every 2 weeks with Miracle Grow Bloom Buster. I still don't even have a bud. Please help me the flowers were beautiful last year! Why won't it bloom this year? (I hung them in the same location as last year)

Answer: There are possibly several contributing factors to why your plants won't bloom. These plants need plenty of sun and very rich soil and ample water in order to grow their best. They also need plenty of root run area as they grow larger. I suspect that the potting soil has become depleted over time and that they have truly outgrown their pots. You might see if you need to repot them into larger pots or consider (next spring) cutting them back, root prune them and repot into the same size pots. Ideally, this would be done annually in early spring before they launch into their summer growth spurt during their outdoor vacation. It is also possible that the plants are still rebuilding their strength before they bloom -- a winter indoors is always a bit stressful for sunloving tropicals -- and as a result they are somewhat seasonal in their blooming. In the meantime, maximize the light they receive, avoid allowing them to be water stressed, and continue fertilizing according to the label instructions for maximum bloom. You might also try a top dressing of compost or a dose or two of compost tea for good measure.