The Q&A Archives: Searching for Information on Results of Cool Composting

Question: I am an 8th grade student. For my Science Project, I have been using cool composting as a medium to look at plant growth. The process that I am using consists of taking scraps of food from our table, placing them in a blender with water, blending allof this up to make a liquid, and pouring this mixture into the soil of the plants once a week. I have seen good results with this medium compared to Miracle-gro and a control. I need any statistical information to use in my science paper from anyone that has tried this method or has used composting and compared the growth of plants. Any information that you may have would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Aaron Didich Bellefontaine, OH

Answer: I've never heard of anyone doing this kind of experiment--so I'm sorry I can't give you any sources of statistics. I spoke with the folks in our Education Department, and they would love to hear about the results of your tests. They publish a newletter called "Growing Ideas" that features information on school gardening programs and interesting classroom experiments. You can e-mail the editor of the newsletter at -- maybe your experiment will get a write-up in "Growing Ideas"!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"