The Q&A Archives: Rose Pests

Question: I recently purchased a home that has beautiful old rose bushes on the property. I am new to gardening and don't know any gardening people. The previous owners told me that the little white bugs on the leaves and buds are aphids and that there is a simple recipe to spray on them to get rid of them. Unfortunately, they couldn't remember the full recipe. My question is: What do I use and how to get rid of the aphids on my roses?

Answer: If your roses have aphids, you can wash them off with a strong stream of water from the hose. If the infestation is large, you'll probably be visited by ladybugs - they LOVE aphids! Any pesticide you use will kill the beneficial ladybugs as well, so be cautious in your approach to ridding your roses of aphids. A final method of control is the use of Insecticidal Soap, which will kill soft-bodied aphids, but won't harm adult ladybugs. Hope you'll try hosing the pests off first and save the Insecticidal Soap as a last resort.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"