The Q&A Archives: Curling Leaves On Tomato Plants

Question: My tomato plants were doing well when I first planted them. This is the first year I have planted tomatoes in this spot with full sun. Now the stems are skinny and the leaves are curling up. I do have several tomatoes on the plants that are not ready for picking. I use miracle grow once a week. Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Answer: The exact cause of tomato leaf roll is not fully known. It appears about the time of fruit setting, and gives the leaves a cupped appearance. The condition appears to be more common on staked and pruned plants and occurs when excessive rainfall or overwatering keeps the soil wet for extended periods of time. It is also related to intensive sunlight which causes carbohydrates to accumulate in the leaves. Some varieties of tomatoes have characteristically curled leaves. Your plants should continue to produce fruit with or without curled leaves.