The Q&A Archives: Gladiolus, Pinks, Carnations

Question: My gladiolus are starting to come up. After they bloom should I take the bulbs out of the ground or if I keep them in the ground will they bloom again? Can I grow carnations and pinks down here, if so should they be in the sun or shade, wet or dry soil? What time of the year? I bought some Burpee's Kniphofia uvaria (Red Hot Poker) from Home Depot, now I don't see them in the store or in your catalogue where can I buy them? Tom Krupa West Palm Beach, FL

Answer: You should let the gladiolus bulbs foliage naturally dieback. In Florida you probably could leave them in the ground year round, but I'd also be worried about nematodes and other insects getting them. Pinks can be grown in well drained soil on a sunny site. The Red Hot Poker plant is available through, Thompson