The Q&A Archives: Germinating Castor Beans

Question: Three weeks ago I started some castor bean seeds indoors. I have them at the proper depth in sterile soil in a window garden with a clear lid. Nothing has come up yet. The tomatoes I started have done ok. Could I have planted the seeds upsidown (I'm new at this.) Also, for Southern NJ what would be the last frost date? Thanks in advance for your help!! Mike Hubler Runnemede, NJ

Answer: Be patient with your castor beans, They will take 7 to 10 days and like warm soil conditions. I don't think you planted them upside down, they should grow no matter which way you planted the seeds. Your last frost in Southern New Jersey should be around April 10th, but check the National Weather Service office at the local airport for the actual date.