The Q&A Archives: Suggestions for Poolside Plants

Question: I live in central Florida and recently put in a pool with a screen enclosure. I am looking for suggestions for plants to plant in the three planters around the pool. The screen height will be about 8ft. high. I want to stay away from anything with small leaves or blossoms that would tend to drop into the pool and surrounding deck area. The pool has a Southern exposure, but the screen will filter out some of the sun. Thank you! Nancy Pete Merritt Island, FL

Answer: You can grow some low growing shrubs in the containers if they are large enough (at least 12" wide) such as Adams' needle (Yucca), Coontie (Zamia floridana) and Eastern coralbean (Eythrina herbacea). You can also plant annual flowers such as dusty miller and coleus for most of the year and they won't spread flowers into your pool.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"