The Q&A Archives: Dying Sage and Thyme

Question: I have a large container planted with rosemary, sage, lemon thyme and a regular thyme. The rosemary is doing great. The sage has leaves turning brown, almost as if they are rotting rather than drying up, but continues to put out new growth but not as rapidly as it is losing. The lemon thyme over night seems to have dried up and the other thyme look mediocre. It has been extremely hot and humid here over the past couple of weeks with at least a weekly shower. The container gets around six hours of sunlight. Any notion as to what might be the problem with my herbs?

Answer: Sounds like heat stress and perhaps a fungal disease. Cut back the affected leaves and stems to promote new, healthy growth. Once the weather cools down a bit your herbs should recover and develop fragrant new leaves.