The Q&A Archives: Primrose Problem

Question: I recently planted an evening primrose (about a month ago) in a sunny spot in my garden. It gave me beautiful yellow blooms for about a month or so. Then recently (within the last week) it lost its blooms (which I thought was part of the natural cycle) and the leaves withered and turned brown.... my question is.. was this due to over/under watering, or pests? also, we have an abundance of small frogs.. would they contribute to a problem with the plant?

Answer: I don't think your frogs would hurt the plant but they may be an indicator that the area is too moist. Evening primrose (Oenothera) tends to do best in full sun on a lean and somewhat dry soil, so it is possible you have overwatered it. Pests don't usually bother it, but you might give it a close inspection for red spider mites and the like. Transplanting in mid-summer can be tough on any plant, so it may simply be that it has failed to settle in.