The Q&A Archives: Carrots--something is eating up/down and around my carrots in the ground. Looks like the critter is

Question: Carrots--something is chewing on my carrots in the ground! Up/down and around the plant. Could it be grubs and gophers? Can I spray the soil to get rid of the grubs? They have eaten every carrot--or at least damaged them.

Answer: To be honest I am not sure which critter is attacking your carrots, but I would suspect a woodchuck could do that type of damage. There are animal repellent sprays you could try (Burpee carries the GetAway Animal Repellent 1-800-487-5530), but if there is an ongoing problem your most effective option is probably a fence. If it really is a woodchuck, you might wish to consider having it professionally trapped and removed because these can be very unpredictable and their bites are very dangerous.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"