The Q&A Archives: Controlling Spider Mites Organically

Question: I have a Meyer lemon tree that was doing quite well. But we had a spider mite problem and soapy water did not work on it. The spider mites chewed the leaves so badly that they turned yellow, with small black bite marks on them and fell off. I sprayed a diluted mixture of baby oil and water on the tree and that seemed to stop the spider mites and we had a lot of new growth. Now the tree is doing a lot better but some of the leaves are developing little yellow spots that spread throughout the rest of the leaf. Then these leaves fall off. is it still the spider mites? I would prefer organic solutions to this problem if possible. Katrina Chapman Ottawa, Ontario

Answer: I assume your lemon is indoors, so that's the perfect environment to release predatory mites that will kill the harmful mites you have, but not harm the tree or any one else. Predatory mites are available through, IPM Labs P.O. Box 300 Locke, NY 13092-0300 315-497-2063 I've had mites on some of our plants and these predatory mites took care of it within weeks.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"