The Q&A Archives: Bonsai Care

Question: How do I care for a Bonsai tree? Is it an indoor or outdoor tree? I know it needs watered a lot.

Answer: Nearly any type of plant can be treated as bonsai, from chrysanthemum to large forest tree. The care requirements for a given plant would depend on what specific plant it is (some for instance need a winter chill period and others do not) and on its stage of training. These plants are usually trained into special forms using considerable patience and skill with frequent pruning, repotting and daily care. A great resource for you is the American Bonsai Society, c/o Patricia DeGroot, P.O. Box 1136, Puyallup, WA 98371-1136, (206) 841-8992; web They have several publications available. You can purchase plants and supplies from the Bonsai Farm, 13827 Highway 87 South, #3, Adkins, TX 78101, (210) 649-2109. Good luck with your new hobby!