The Q&A Archives: Dutch Hyacinths

Question: Should I or can I remove bulbs from pots (none planted in ground)? Since all foilage has died back I presume I can remove and store until next this correct...or would this be damaging to the bulbs & the new bulbs which most certainly have started forming by now. If they can be removed how should they be stored? Brown bag, netting material, in sawdust or soil? Where should they be stored, indoors or is outdoors acceptable? I have no idea what should be done. Also, if removed from pots, when is the best time to plant again for next season. These bulbs have provided magnificent blooms and I don't want to "destroy" them. Thanks for your help!

Answer: Digging and storing bulbs is one way to protect them from harsh winter weather, but some bulbs require a rest period (typically during the winter months), so digging them is also a way to ensure they are able to rest before putting on their display a second time. When bulbs become overcrowded they'll produce fewer and smaller flowers. Hyacinth's are bulbs that, if left alone, will naturalize. The size of the bulb has a direct relation to the size of the flowers they produce. Hyacinth's will multiply by developing little bulblets, but the bulblets won't flower for a number of years, so leaving them in the ground (or in their present containers) is a good idea - especially in your climate.