The Q&A Archives: Maggot Control and Biodegradable Pots

Question: I live in Portland, Oregon. I planted some sweet corn about 2 weeks ago and I noticed some of the seeds had not germinated. I dug them up and there were some little white maggots eating at the seeds. How can I get rid of these and ensure they will not come back? I have some roses I bought and planted in the ground. The rose came in a pot that is made out of some paper material. The pot is pretty stiff. I planted the whole pot in the ground, thinking it would disintegrate. Is this OK?

Answer: Nature Gard for Gardens (page 141 of our catalog) will take care of your corn maggots (as well as many other nasties beneath the soil). So-called bio-degradable pots do, indeed, decompose in the ground. Unfortunately it takes them a lot longer to do so than many people have suggested and often prevents roots from growing out into the surrounding soil. I recommend pulling it up, removing the pot (as you would any nursery container, and replanting the rose.