The Q&A Archives: Potted Moon Flowers

Question: I have moon flowers growing in pots and since I'm too far north to gfrow them as perennials would I get a head start next spring if I stored the potted plants inside during the winter? Should I trim back the vine?

Answer: Ipomoea alba, or Moonflower, is a perennial vine that's grown outdoors as an annual in your area, or indoors, as a greenhouse plant, all year long. The vines can grow 20'-30' long in a single season. You can trim the vines back in the autumn and take the potted plants indoors. Keep them in a bright location and water thoroughly just as the soil begins to dry out. In the spring, when nighttime temperatures remain above 45F, take your plants outdoors where they will happily spend the summer months.