The Q&A Archives: No Petals on Coneflowers

Question: My echinacea plants look full and healthy with many blossoms-but no petals. What pest and what can I do?

Answer: My echinacea was slow to produce petals this year, probably due to the dry conditions. The "cones" came out, and petals very slowly unfurled to surround them. Coneflowers aren't usually attacked by insects, but a few of the petals of my flowers have been muched, probably by grasshoppers or carrot beetles. If you have seen petals emerge and then disappear, then insects probably are the culprits, but if they just haven't appeared, give them more time, and they should eventually show. Without knowing the specific pest problem, I can't suggest a solution, other than a very general one, such as covering the plants with protective fabric row covers to keep the pests away. Best of luck!