The Q&A Archives: Bees On Grapes

Question: Is there any plant I could put under my grape arbor that would repel bees in the late summer/ fall when the grapes are ripe? Or would I want to get rid of bees who must pollinate in the Spring? We don't get many grapes after the bees have their turn at them.

Answer: Bees and wasps are attracted by the fragrance of ripe grapes and they just can't resist the sweet nectar provided by the fruit. You're right, if you destroy them, you'll won't have many grapes - or fruit of any kind - next year. You can try to keep the grapes harvested as they ripen and not allow overripe fruit to remain on the vines. Harvest as often as necessary to remove the sweet scent and sugary juice that is irresistable to the bees.