The Q&A Archives: Kangaroo Paws

Question: I just purchased a Kangaroo Paws plant, and I need to have some general information on how to care for it?
Do I cut this back? Or just let it take care of itself? Also, should I keep in full sun or shade?

Answer: Anigozanthos, or Kangaroo Paw is an evergreen perennial native to Australia. It grows from thick rootstocks that form clumps of dark green, smooth, swordlike leaves to 3' or taller. The tubular flowers, in red, pruple, green or yellow are curved at the tips like kangaroo paws. The plants like full sun and sandy or quick-draining soil. Supply regular water while the plant is in bloom and cut the spent flowering spikes dow to the ground to encourage additional bloom over a long season. The plant doesn't require any exceptional care other than regular watering.