The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Tomato Leaves

Question: I've planted several different varieties of tomato plants(Bush Big Boy, Early Girl, ect.) in 5 gallon containers. They were healthy when transplanted but have since failed to really thrive. I used potting soil specifically made for vegtables mixed with a little organic compost. The leaves are curling up and the plants are turning yellowish/brown. I've watered every 2-3 days and have used light to moderate amounts of fertilizer. 3 of the 8 plants have produced fruit.

Answer: It sounds like your tomatoes are suffering from Fusarium wilt, a fungal disease that chokes the vessels in the plant stem and prevent moisture and food from moving through the plant. Roma VF is resistant to both verticillium and fusarium wilts (hence the 'VF' at the end of the name). Unfortunately, once the disease sets in, there's nothing you can do to cure your plants. The good news is that you can avoid this problem in the future by planting resistant varities. It also helps to add lots of compost to your soil each year, and to rotate your crops through the garden year to year.