The Q&A Archives: Moonflower Seed Planting

Question: I do not see moonflowers in your index, but my florist assures me that she buys the seeds from you. Can you tell me if you have them, when and how to start them, where they thrive, etc. thanks!

Answer: Ipomoea 'Giant White' is also called Moonflower, and seeds are available in the Burpee Catalog (pg. 30). The plant is a fast-growing annual outdoors in cold-winter climates, or a perennial vine under greenhouse conditions. The plants grow best in full sunshine, in moist, loose soil that's not too high in nitrogen. Starting seeds directly outdoors is the best approach, sowing 2-3 weeks after last frost when temperatures remain above 45F. Chip the seeds and soak in warm water overnight, then sow 1/4" deep in prepared garden beds. The seeds will germinate in 5-21 days when soil temperature is about 60F degrees. Thin seedlings to 12" apart.