The Q&A Archives: Dying Tree

Question: I have had a hinoki false cypress for 20 years and have no problems with it. It grew to 6 feet. We've been having extremely hot and humid weather without rain for a little over a month now. All of a sudden, it shed its leaves and is down to almost nothing. Can I save it?

Answer: Unfortunately I can't begin to make a diagnosis based on your description. You might want to consult with a professional arborist or with your County Extension (378-1327) to see if they can determine if it is an insect or disease problem or simply drought related and possibly make a recommendation. In the meantime you might try giving it a long slow deep watering all through the root zone remembering that it will extend beyond the branches. Good luck with your shrub!