The Q&A Archives: "Princess Flower"

Question: I just purchased a "Princess Flower" with violet blooms and furry leaves. What can you tell me about this flower and how to take care of it when transplanted into my backyard? I do know that it needs shade but that's about all I do know about how to take care of it?

Answer: The true identity of your Princess Flower is Tibouchina urvilleana. It's an evergreen shrub or small tree, native to Brazil. It produces fast, rather open growth from 5'-18' tall. New growth is velvety, and the plant will produce brilliant royal purple flower clusters at the ends of the branches. It grows best is slightly acid, well-drained soil. In your gardening region it should be planted in a sheltered spot to protect it from strong winds. Pinch the tips out of the stems to promote bushy, compact habit, and lightly prune after flowering to encourage new, flowering wood.