The Q&A Archives: Caring for Fuchsia

Question: My daughter just gave me a hanging basket of fuchsia that is beautiful but I don't know anything about its growing needs. I'm in zone 9. Can you give me any advice? Also, how big will it get? Is it perennial? Thanks much! Laura Martinez Houston, TX

Answer: Fuchsias are hardy in zone 10 only (darn!) you must keep it in that pot....but you can keep it going for many years. I live in zone 4 and I have a fushia that I've keep for at least 5 years! Here's what you do.....Fuchsias should be kept damp, but not wet. A hanging basket during the summer needs water every day, and during dry, windy periods it may require watering twice per day. It likes bright indirect light-not full sun. Before a hard frost, place the container in a storage area in the lower 50's-40's degrees F. and water once a month or enough to keep the old wood from drying. In February bring the plant out to the light and prune back hard to the old wood. This will induce branching and will not harm flowering, since fuchsia flowerson new growth. Increase watering accordingly. Start fertilizing as the weather gets warmer and more growth occurs.