The Q&A Archives: Tuberous Begonia Bloom

Question: My tuberous begonias (aka camellia begonias) are leggy and do not produce the large flowers I wanted. The blooms are small and look like seed pods. What's wrong with them?

Answer: Tuberous begonias thrive in shady conditions, and rich, moist, well draining soils. For best bloom they should be misted with water 2-3 times a day and fed with a dilute solution liquid fertilizer. If your plants do not have the magnificent saucer-shaped blooms that tuberous begonias are know for, perhaps the growing conditions are not quite as the plants require. If you've given it all the proper conditions and it still won't bloom, a little pinching back should encourage new growth and new flowers. Sometimes you need to stress a plant just a little bit to make it bloom. Try holding back on the fertilizer (too much nitrogen makes lush green growth at the expense of brightly colored blossoms). Hope it stops behaving badly and rewards you with gorgeous blooms!