The Q&A Archives: Hummingbird Moth

Question: I have two butterfly bushes that attract a large amount of butterflies. It also has attracted an insect that I have never seen before. I was wondering if someone there would know what it is. It hovers over the flowers like a Hummingbird with very fast moving wings. It has a nose similar to a butterfly to get the nectar from the flowers. It has a body that is yellowish similar to a large bumble bee.
If you have any idea what this might be would you please respond or maybe tell me a place where I could look it up over the internet.

Answer: You have probably seen one of the varieties of moths commonly called by a variety of names such as "hummingbird" or "sphinx" among others. There is some in depth information about them at from the Northern Prairie WIldlife Research Station site.