The Q&A Archives: Rubber Tree Cutting Height

Question: I have a rubber tree that is quite young. My gardening book says that when a rubber tree is at the right height, to cut off the topshoot and it will branch out. Should I do this and if I should, how tall should it be when I cut it?

Answer: Ficus will grow into a single-stemmed plant if left alone, but you can make it bushy by cutting the top of the plant off, which will force new stems to grow from the old leaf scars. So, how tall do you want your rubber tree to be? If you'd like it to bushing out at 2'-3' in height, cut it down below that height and it will develop new shoots below the cut. If you want it shorter, cut the main stem down to 12" and it will begin bushing out from there. The term 'right height' in the book means the right height for the space it's occupying in your home. Hope this clarifies things for you!