The Q&A Archives: Non-Flowering Rudbeckia

Question: I planted a number of rudebeckia plants last summer. All have come back very strong but only a few have flowered. They are all in the same garden, same light, same water. I have fertilized every 2 weeks but cannot get them to flower. The plants are very large and healthy looking. Any idea of what the problem could be???

Answer: Most rudbeckia varieties don't begin blooming until mid July or later but then continue for a long period. For example, the Black-Eyed Susan or Goldstrum types are among the first to bloom and the Rudbeckia hirta varieties begin in August but continue until frost. As with any perennials, there is always a bit of variation on the bloom schedule from plant to plant due to subtle variations in growing conditions and a certain amount of variability in seed grown stock. As long as the plants are healthy, I suspect it is merely a question of time and they should begin shortly.